A few weeks back I added XCache to my LAMP stack for a little performance boost. I didn't notice any immediate gains even though my phpinfo showed that XCache was installed. After some further digging and a little oversight on my part, I found that you must change xcache.size in your php.ini to anything greater than 0. That setting basically allows XCache the memory it needs to do its job. I tried the default 64M and immediately things seemed to pick up. I also noticed that less resources were being used on my machine after this tweak.

Current stack:

  • Ubuntu Server (Dapper Drake)
  • Lighttpd
  • XCache
  • MySQL 5
  • PHP 5

Seems to be working very nicely.