Staff Software Engineer
- Root Insurance Company, Columbus, OH
- July 2017 - Present
- Lead development initiative that helped Root launch car insurance in 21 states
- Lead development of pricing efficiency
- Back-end Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, Resque, AWS EC2/ECS/S3/Dynamo/Elasticache
Senior Software Engineer
- Cyanna Education Services, Columbus, OH
- July 2011 - July 2017
- Converted single client application into multi-tenant workhorse that powers private post-secondary regulatory agencies and institutions
- Lead development of student information management system that serves more than 50,000 students
- Created iOS and Android mobile applications using NativeScript with Angular 4
- Back-end Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (3.2.x), PostgreSQL, Redis, DelayedJob
Co-founder, Software Engineer
- Datagraph (Dydra), Berlin Germany
- February 2010 - January 2012
- Responsible for front and back end web application development of Dydra.com
- Back-end Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (3.0.x), Sinatra, RDF, SPARQL, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, AMQP, and Resque.
- Also assisted in systems administration and deployment of servers using Amazon EC2, Ubuntu, puppet, Apache 2, passenger, Amazon RDS, Route53, Amazon S3, and Cloudfront.
Software Engineer (Contractor)
- June 2002 - February 2015
For 13 years I worked in a contract capacity with various clients helping to build web and mobile based applications in a wide range of industries that spanned banking, finance, entertainment/multimedia, military/aerospace, and healthcare. These clients include:
- OKVenue, New York, NY
- Full stack engineer responsible for development of online payment management and event management platforms. (Ruby on Rails 3.2 and 4.0)
- Developed and enhanced new ticket purchases UI using Marionette.js and Backbone.js
- Experience with multiple 3rd party service integrations including Yodlee (SOAP), Braintree, PubNub, Twilio, Google maps, and Mailchimp
- Migrated infrastructure to Cloud66
- Makalu Interactive, Marbella, Spain
- Integrum Technologies Inc., Chandler, AZ
- Remuda Ranch, Peoria, AZ
- Serve as lead developer and architect for an enterprise class web-based electronic health records (EHR) system.
- Use Ruby on Rails to create the system that tracks the complete patient care process.
- Manage implementation of a computerized physician order entry system and admissions system.
- Integrate Jack Slocum's EXT library for enhanced user-interface and process flow.
- Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, Phoenix, AZ
- Developed various internal applications and a customer-facing online banking system.
- Implemented an online tracking system and internal audit tracking system to communicate system results to marketing and senior management clients.
- Designed and deployed reporting services reports.
- Prepared coding standards documentation and provided coding reviews for other developers.
- Technologies Used: ASP.NET 1.1, SQL 2000, C#, SQL 2005
- Jobing.com, Phoenix, AZ
- Lead local job board company through a migration from old site to new site by developing new site features and overall appearance for site launch.
- Integrated JobingTV website into main Jobing.com site, created customer page width formatting tool, and implemented a resume upload process for job seekers.
- Built AJAX components to streamline processing and minimize visible page post backs.
- Unicorn Financial Services, Mesa, AZ
- Created and executed a customer facing online account application.
- Re-architected ASP 3.0 application used by funding department and senior management.
- Designed, executed, and supported internal 3-tier web application used to streamline daily operations in credit decisioning making and application processing.
- Replaced third-party application processing system with Windows .NET application.
- Created and integrated ad-hoc enterprise reports.
- Managed and developed stored procedures; desgined DTS packages and nightly jobs.
- Technologies Used: ASP 3.0, ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#, SQL 2000, Crystal and SQL Reporting Services, SQL DBA
- DHL, Scottsdale, AZ
- Generated $875,000 in savings for client by designing and supporting customer-facing web-based logistics and supply chain management interface and reporting tools; worked on team.
- Decreased support time 48% by developing and maintaining an internal web reporting applications for the logistics website.
- Technologies Used: ASP.NET, XML, SQL.NET Web Services, VB.NET, HP OpenView Service Desk
Computer Information Systems Intern
- NACOG Headstart, Flagstaff, AZ
- May 1999 - May 2002
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, Web Technologies
- Northern Arizona University
- August 1998 - May 2002
Open Source Contributions
- jQuery-jsonrpc: JSON RPC 2.0 client and jQuery plugin
- Rack RPC: Rack middleware for serving up XML and JSON baseed RPC endpoints
- Resque: Redis-based background jobs system
- Resque Dedup: A Resque plugin for ensuring that the same job does not get enqueued multiple times
- Rails 3 Datamapper Gem: Integrate DataMapper with Rails 3
- Exhibit: Advanced, client-side data visualization framework
- Dydra Ruby SDK: Dydra.com command-line (CLI) tools and software development kit (SDK) for Ruby
- Drupal modules:
- Web Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Sintra, Rack, Node.js, Connect, Express
- Frontend Web Frameworks: Angular 4, Polymer, Ember.js, Backbone.js, Marionette.js, jQuery, jQuery UI
- DevOps: AWS (EC2, VPC, IAM, S3, Route53, OpsWorks), Chef, Packer, Vagrant, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, Capistrano
- Operating Systems: Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, and RedHat), Mac OS X, Windows 3.x, 95, 98, 2000, 2000 Advanced Server, XP, 2003 Server
- Programming Editors/IDEs: vim, emacs, TextMate, JetBrains (RubyMine, WebStorm)
- Source Code Control: Git, Mercurial, Subversion
- Databases: PostgreSQL 8/9, MySQL 4/5, MongoDB, Dydra, Redis, Tokyo Cabinet
- Content Management Systems/E-commerce: Spree, RefineryCMS, Radiant CMS, Mephisto, Drupal